SILCOLAPSE 454 is equally efficacious in aqueous and anhydrous media. It disperses readily provided a suitable thinner is used (see below).
Recommended concentrations and directions for use:
SILCOLAPSE 454 is normally used in a concentration of between 1 and 100 mg per kg of medium to be defoamed.
It can be used as supplied, but it is often preferable to prediluted to a concentration of between 1 to 10%. To do this, slowly add either 99 or 90 parts of the thinner used to 1 or 10 parts respectively of SILCOLAPSE 454.
Prediluting SILCOLAPSE 454:
The product can be diluted either in some of the medium to be defoamed (1), or in one of the following thinners, which are all solvents of the silicone oil in the compound, and are soluble, or simply dispersible, in the medium to be defoamed.
a/ use in anhydrous media
The following thinners are recommended :
- Aliphatic hydrocarbons (hexane, heptane, white spirit, etc.)
- Aromatic hydrocarbons (benzene, toluene, xylene, naphta solvent, etc.).
- chlorinated hydrocarbons (trichlorethylene, perchlorethylene, carbon tetrachloride, etc.).
b/ use in aqueous media
In this case thinners should be either water-soluble or water dispersible such as :
- Certain ketones, e.g. methylethylketone or methylisobutyl-ketone.
- Certain alcohols, e.g. tertiobutanol, dodecanol-1 or ethyl-2 hexanol.
- Certain ethers, e.g. ethyl ether or isopropyl ether.
Methanol, isopropanol, ethylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerine, etc. are NOT RECOMMENDED for diluting SILCOLAPSE 454, as they are not solvents of the silicone oil in the compound.
1) In the case of an aqueous medium, a master dispersion of SILCOLAPSE 454 can be prepared. The homogeneity and length of stability of such a dispersion will depend on the degree of agitation, and also on the surfactant and rheological characteristics of the medium concerned.
- Prior dilution tests are recommended in all cases before any operation on an industrial scale.
- The colloidal filler in the compound may result in cloudy or clear dilutions, depending on the refractive index of the thinner.
Use of predilutions:
Examples of final concentrations of antifoam in the medium :
Users should make systematic tests to determine the optimum concentration of SILCOLAPSE 454, which generally depends on a number or factors - composition of the medium, temperature, pH and intensity of agitation. We recommend starting with a dose of 10 mg of antifoaming agent per kg of medium to be defoamed, and then increasing or decreasing this amount according to results.
- 1 mg/kg - dilute either 1 part of 1 % predilution in 10000 parts of the medium to be defoamed, or 1 part of 10 % predilution in 100000 parts.
- 100 mg/kg - dilute either on part in 1 % predilution in 100 parts of the medium to be defoamed, or 1 part of 10 % predilution in 1000 parts.
|SILCOLAPSE 454 may be stored at a temperature between -5 °C/ 23 °F and 40 °C/ 104 °F for up to 18 months from its date of manufacturing.||Please consult the Safety Data Sheet of this product.||Food Contact|
SILCOLAPSE 454 is a compound containing polydimethylsiloxane oil and a mineral filler in colloidal dispersion. It is intended maily for treating anhydrous media, but also aqueous media, in numerous industries (oil, crop protection products, detergents, chemicals, etc.).
Its excellent behaviour in alkaline media and its efficiency in a wide range applications are of interest.
SILCOLAPSE 454 is intended for industrial use only, and it should not be used in the manufacture of foodstuffs, cosmetics or pharmaceutical products.
SILCOLAPSE 454 offers the following advantages :
Ease of use:
SILCOLAPSE 454 can be used supplied, or prediluted in a solvent or in some of the medium to be defoamed (see paragraph on Processing).
It disperses readily in most media.
The product can be used with automatic injection systems.
SILCOLAPSE 454 is efficacious at low doses, from about 1 to 100 mg per kg of medium to be defoamed.
SILCOLAPSE 454 is chemically inert towards media to be defoamed and therefore does not affect their properties.
SILCOLAPSE 454 has numerous applications in such fields as:
- Oil: Alkanolamine washing of natural or refinery gases.
- Crop protection products: Product formulations (emulsifiable concentrates and aqueous dispersions)
- Detergents: Manufacture of detergents powders and liquids and of soap.
- Chemicals: Distillation, extraction, evaporation, dissolution, filtration, etc.
Asia Pacific;Europe Middle East Africa;Central and South America;North America