Elkem Silicones was contacted by a manufacturer of radial tires for passenger cars and was asked to provide a durable multirelease agent that would provide long-term release performance andbladder protection to ensure productivity, tire quality and durable bladder life.
The requirements included the following quality and process improvement items:
- Improved tire quality, through the elimination of dirty tire aspect, coming from high amounts of heavily filled inside paints that create mold pollution
- Reliable release performance to avoid imperfections caused by non-homogeneous release behavior
- Reduced defect rates through improved air evacuation and bladder centering during bladder inflation and optimal post cure release performance
- Increased bladder life by protecting the bladder against abrasion, sulfur migration and oxidation
- A decrease in manpower requirements by reducing laborintensive steps in the production process
- Lower total costs based on the use of lower volumes of release agents.